“It’s the little things citizens do. That will make all the difference.”
~ Wangari Maathai, 2004 Nobel Peace Laureate
Be a Peace Maker.
Join us in building a more peaceful, generous world.
If you’d like to work toward a more peaceful world, please volunteer with the Peace Flag Project. We all want to do what we can to build a kinder and more generous world, and we need many different kinds of help. We need people to help with publicity and marketing and people to hand out flyers or sew flags on strings. There’s a job for every interest and skill level. You can bring your skills or try your hand at some new ones. For example, if you have publicity experience you’d like to share with us — great. If you’d like to gain some experience in doing publicity work, we have tasks that can help you to develop those skills.
As you may or may not know, we are located in Rhode Island. For some jobs, you need to be close by, but for others, it doesn’t matter where you live.
- We work with groups throughout RI creating Peace Flags to express important wishes for the world. These Peace Flags help people envision a better world, a peaceful world.
- Our major event is celebrating the UN Int’l Day of Peace on September 21. We have expanded these celebrations into a Month of Peace each September.
Please join this important work to make our everyday lives more peaceful and nonviolent. Based on the tradition of Tibetan Prayer Flags, these flags connect our hearts and imaginations to the real world. Each small flag is a small step for peace in the world.
We need volunteers in the areas listed below. If you have other interests and skills you don’t see listed here, please suggest them to us. Your skills, creativity and dedication are important to us.
Workshop and Festival Events
- Setting up tables, materials, markers, instructions, etc.
- Working with adults and/or children at event
- Describing PFP briefly and instruct about making a flag
- Tearing fabric squares for flags
- Sewing flags onto string
- Making Peace Flag Kits
- Maintaining computer mailing lists and managing links
- Reaching out to new communities
- Fundraising, applying for grants and obtaining sponsorships
- Main Event: September Month of Peace/UN International Day of Peace, each September 21 *
* We expanded our Peace Day celebrations to a Month of Peace to include more aspects of peace
Publicity and Marketing
- Organizing various aspects of event
- Reaching out to new Communities
- Designing flyers and posters
- Handing out flyers; posting flyers in communities
- Assisting at events (schedules, where things are, etc.)
- Help with parking at events
Sign me up: