Celebrate Peace! Celebrate Community!
Month of Peace in Rhode Island
September 1 to 30, 2012
Observing the Month of Peace in Rhode Island is an expansion of our celebrations of the United Nations International Day of Peace events for the last seven years. The Month is being organized by Ginny Fox, Executive Director of the Peace Flag Project (PFP). The PFP has been the primary organizer of the UN Peace Days in Providence.
Celebrating the Peace Month is about working to create the Beloved Community and a Culture of Peace in our wonderful communities. A peaceful culture is one that we citizens can create ourselves by how we live our lives each day. The goal is peaceful relationships on all levels. Our focus is on how we live with our families, friends, and community members; what kind of citizens, coworkers and colleagues we are; and, how we educate our children and work for social justice. It’s about being able to live a healthy life with meaningful work, good housing and safe neighborhoods. It’s about affirming our need for artistic expression and appreciation for culture in all its diversity. It’s about how we live on this planet and use its resources. It’s about appreciating the connection of all life physically and spiritually.
Events during September will be special peace events or events occurring during September that are reflective of a peaceful world. A tentative schedule of events is below.
All events are free and open to the public. Please check for updates and additional info:
- Peace Art Exhibit, Atrium Gallery, First Unitarian Church of Providence www.firstunitarianprov.org
- Providence Community Libraries, Exhibits of Peace Flags and Peace Flag workshops in all 9 Community Libraries, www.provcomlib.org
Special Events (Please check back for updates and further details.)
- 9/1 Sat, Peace Walk at WaterFire, meet at Wall of Hope Tunnel/Union Station Plaza,
- 7:15 pm Assemble
- 8:30 pm Peace Walk begin
- 9/2 Sun, “Drop in and Decorate: Mini Community Service” and Peace Flag Workshop, Johnson & Wales Univ, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Intercultural Center, 60 Broad St, Prov firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9/8 Sat, Postcards for Peace Project, Susan Fox (Expressive Arts Program, Salve Regina Univ.) at Jerry’s Artarama 14 Imperial Place, Providence 1:00 to 4:00 pm.
- 9/8 Sat Universal Dances of Peace: Christopher & Katherine Carbone (Arts in Celebration) (Newport) 7:00 to 8:30 pm. Salve Regina Expressive Arts Program, http://peacedances.eventbrite.com
- 9/10 Mon “The Costs of War: Economic, Social & Political,” Dr. Catherine Lutz, Barrington Public Library, 281 County Road, Barrington 7:00 pm www.eastbaycitizens4peace.org & www.afsc.org/office/providence-ri
- 9/15 Sat “Roger Williams: Soul Freedom” Talk by National Park Ranger John McNiff, Visitor Center 2:00 pm Roger Williams National Memorial 282 North Main Street, Providence
- 9/15 Sat One-Day Nonviolence Training, Institute for Study & Practice of Nonviolence, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm 265 Oxford Street, Prov www.nonviolenceinstitute.org
- 9/20 Thur “Peaceful Revolution: When Will War End,” Paul Chappell, 12:00 to 6:30 pm, Events on URI Kingston Campus
- 7:00 pm Candlelight Vigil/Quad
- 7:30 pm Presentation by Paul Chappell, www.uri.edu/nonviolence
- 9/20 Thurs Peace Film Festival, Jamestown Art Center 7:00 pm 8 Valley Street, Jamestown www.jamestownartcenter.org
- 9/21 Friday — UN International Day of Peace, www.internationaldayofpeace.org
- Pass the Peace: RICJ Youth Peace Celebration, RI for Community and Justice Pfaff Auditorium, URI, Providence Campus. 6:00 pm (Doors open at 5:30 pm) www.ricj.org
- Peace Flag Making, URI Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies. Quad of URI Kingston, 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm
- Meditation “Peace Begins with Me,” Concordia Center for Spiritual Living, 7:00 Warwick concordia.csi.org
- “Why Peace is Necessary and Possible: A Soldier’s Perspective,” Paul Chappell, 7:00 pm at Bristol State House, 240 High Street, Bristol www.eastbaycitizens4peace.org & www.afsc.org/office/providence-ri
- 9/22 Sat — 35th Annual Heritage Festival, 12 noon to 6:00 pm, Roger Williams National Memorial 282 North Main Street, Prov
- 9/27 Thurs Peace Work: All About Folk, Bill Monroe & More, Roots Cultural Center, 7:00 to 9:00 pm http://rootsprovidence.com/
- 9/28 Friday — Voices for Peace. (Providence) Singers, storytellers, musicians, spoken-word performances at Roots Cultural Center, 6:30 to 8:30 pm. http://rootsprovidence.com/
- 9/29 Sat “Peacefully Together: Day of Mindfulness for All Ages,” RI Community of Mindfulness 9:30 am to 2:00 pm Land Trust Barn, S. Kingston www.joannefriday.com/calendar
- 9/30 Sunday Walking as a Spiritual Practice, Karina Lutz and Jim Tull. Santosha Holistic Center, (Cranston) 1:00 to 3:00 pm. http://yogaatsantosha.com/events/